My name is Anthony and I’ve been working out for 14 years. Right now I work as a steamfitter apprentice and I go to school twice a week. I am a very hard worker and I also train hard. My dad is the reason I started working out. Weight training kept me out of trouble and gave me discipline. My hobbies are working out and listening to music since it soothes my soul.
Anthony O’Neal Jr – Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Anthony O’Neal Jr
- Height: 5’8″
- Weight: 192
- Date of Birth: 7/7/1985
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Brown
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Anthony O’Neal Jr – Fitness Model Interview
How did you get started in the fitness field?
My day got me started when I was 10. He didn’t force me to do it, I just decided I wanted to and I have been doing it ever since.
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
Results! Having endurance and impressing myself and pushing myself to be better at it.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
Just being able to keep doing what I love to do.
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
I think the best way is going through a modeling agency because they have more resources and connections and they are better representatives.
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
Pretty basic: work, school, workout.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
Walking or running works great. I personally like to jump rope and do other workouts in between.
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
It depends on your size and what you’re looking for in terms of results. It also important to focus on what is healthy for your particular body.
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
I have never taken any supplements because of my genetics. I’m a mesomorph and I can pretty much eat whatever I want and still stay lean (low body fat level). But I do try to stay away from fried foods and a lot of junk food also.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
As long as you’re not eating it all the time and you are staying active, you should be fine since you’re burning calories. It also depends on many factors like your age, body structure, and metabolism.
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
Vegetables, dietary fibers and good quality lean protein foods are key. Shop the outer perimeter of the grocery store for the best results (produce, meat, eggs sections).
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
Start out slowly then build your way up . To stay motivated, either get a personal trainer or a workout partner.
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
Stay away from greasy fried foods. Ask for your meal to be grilled or baked without butter. Restaurants add butter to everything!
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
Butt blaster, squats, lunges and backward squats.
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
Personal life, kids and work takes a lot of time out of my day but I always try to take time to take care of my body and get my workout in.
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
Since I’m a mesomorph, I can really get away with eating whatever I want and still stay lean (I’m very lucky). However, when I want to focus on eating really clean I stick with these foods below.
- Breakfast: 1.5 cups of oatmeal, 10 egg whites, 1 banana.
- Mid-Morning Snack: Nuts (almonds or walnuts) or cottage cheese
- Lunch: Chicken breast sandwich, 1 cup of brown rice, broccoli
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: Nuts (almonds or walnuts) or cottage cheese
- Dinner: 8 ounces of steak (london broil), sweet potato, green salad
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: Full body workouts. Stick to the basics like squats, bench press and deadlifts for overall mass.
- Cardio Exercises: Jumping rope.
- Additional Training: Rest (LOL).
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
1. If you’re looking for size and definition do heavy weights and make sure you can feel the burn (8 to 12 reps).
2. If you’re trying to stay lean, watch your diet and do cardio.
3. Eat more carbs for size but make sure you don’t add too much fat.
4. To stay lean, cut back on the carbs and stick with lean protein and veggies.
5. Stick to the basics! Barbell curls for biceps and skull crushers for triceps.
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
1. Sweat it out!
4. Weight training (build the muscle)
5. Rest and recover
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
1. Basic, compound multi-joint exercises (squats, bench press, deadlifts).
2. Eat, eat and eat some more. You need to eat to grow!
3. Eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
4. Don’t overtrain. Let your muscles recover before doing another workout.
5. Rest and recover to grow!
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change?
1. Get someone to workout with you.
2. Get a personal trainer.
3. Place a “bad” picture of yourself on your fridge.
4. Think lifestyle not DIET! It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
5. Hang around positive people. Success is contagious!
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Monday: Pushups and bench press (high reps & split sets). Also, clean and jerk, jump rope.
- Tuesday: Jump rope, ab wheel and bosu ball pushups.
- Wednesday: Hamstring curls, squats, jump rope and high jumps.
- Thursday: I train arms, jump rope and some pushups.
- Friday: Rest.
- Saturday: Rest.
- Sunday: Rest.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
1. Dietary fiber (makes you feel full).
2. Sweat to lose water weight.
4. Core strengthening.
5. Diet is key. Eat clean.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for toning the thighs, hips and butt?
2. Roman chair back curls
3. Leg extensions
5. Step ups on a bench