Joseph Johnson – Male Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Joseph Johnson
- Height: 5’8”
- Weight: 170 pounds
- Date of Birth: March 8, 1993
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Brown
- Location: Miami, Florida
- Website: bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/JJ44kd
Joseph Johnson – Male Fitness Model Interview
Can you tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Joseph W. Johnson, IV. I am a college student, certified NCSF personal trainer. Also, I am a certified in for Adult, Child, and Infant CPR/AED. Currently, I am majoring in dietetics at Miami Dade College. I have always had passion for fitness since I was a child. At age 12, I started working out with weights which took my level of passion to a different level. This really helped me reduce stress, improved my physique, and health. Ever since, I never gave up on my goals and dreams. I would love to inspire people who have challenges in their lives by becoming the best that I can be.
How did you get started in the fitness field?
Well, I have been an active person ever since childhood. I competed in sports such as taekwondo, football, basketball, and powerlifting. I was 12 years old when I started working out with weights, which helped me improve my self-discipline.
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
The best thing I would have to say why I’m interested in fitness is probably how people are willing to learn from others’ life stories and experiences to achieve their goals. Not just fitness, but anything in life.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
My biggest accomplishment in the fitness field would have to be passing my personal training certification exam by the National Council on Strength and Fitness in August 2011.
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
I am new to the fitness modeling industry, so I’m still learning the ropes. What I will tell a person who is willing to become a fitness model is to get in shape. Then, contact a photographer before contacting any agencies.
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
First of all, I am a college student majoring in dietetics. I’m also a certified personal trainer. Basically, I attend school in the morning followed by my personal time to workout. In the afternoons, I will go online to review different exercises for my clients to perform. In the evening, I will train my clients and do my homework.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
Well for cardio, there are two types of training to burn major calories. These include circuit and interval training:
- Circuit Training – A training program of a sequence of 7-15 exercises perform continuously without any rest.
- Interval Training – A training program performed through periods of intense exercise between rest and light exertion.
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
I suggest a person to focus on losing 2-3 pounds a week. Eventually, a person will see a huge amount of progress in a month.
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
The type of food I suggest you eat before a workout is a meal of chicken with rice and vegetables or drink a protein shake containing 20 grams of protein. Same thing for after your workout, but drink a protein shake containing 40 grams of protein.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
Fruits and nuts will do the trick. I sometimes have those cravings, but fruits and nuts will help stop those cravings. Plus, they are beneficial to your health.
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
Ground turkey, trail mix nuts, chicken, bananas, brown rice, watermelon, milk, raisin bread, and grouper (fish).
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
For starters, understand what fitness goal you want to achieve. How are you going to motivate yourself? After asking and answering these questions, create a diet plan to help you achieve your goal. Then, you can create an exercise program that includes exercises that are going to improve your physique and health.
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
I recommend grilled chicken with rice and vegetables. In addition, water or any juice would be good to drink. Avoid any fried, greased, or high sugar foods.
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
Squats, leg presses, hack squats, deadlifts (my favorite) are compound exercises that will help a person, especially a woman who wants to get a curvier and rounder butt. In addition, I suggest a person to lift heavier for no more than 10-15 repetitions on achieving a desirable butt size.
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
I have to say improving my health by avoiding injuries, illnesses, or diseases.
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
- Breakfast: Egg whites with a glass of water and 2-3 types of fruits.
- Mid-Morning Snack: Handful of trail mix nuts.
- Lunch: Ground turkey meat with taco shells.
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: Peanut butter and jelly sandwich with raisin bread and water.
- Dinner: Tilapia with Spanish rice and okra, jerk or curry chicken with brown rice and green beans.
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: Squats, bench press, deadlifts, shoulder press, and bent-over rows.
- Cardio Exercises: Circuit and interval training.
- Additional Training: Core training includes the four areas of the core I focus on to strengthen, which include Rectus Abdominals – Upper Abdominal Muscles, Transverse Abdominals – Lower Abdominal Muscles, Obliques – Lateral Abdominal Muscles, Erectile Spine – Lower Back Muscles.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
1. Keep yourself hydrated.
2. Learn about the different heads of your biceps and triceps.
3. Concentrate on the muscle you are targeting.
4. Warm-up your arms on cable machines for 20-30 repetitions with very light weight to get good blood flow through the muscles. For biceps, standing cable curls work great and for triceps, rope pulldowns are great for warming up.
5. When you workout, focus on 8-12 repetitions per set as you perform different exercises.
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
1. Add protein (chicken, fish, or turkey) and complex carbohydrates (pasta or brown rice).
2. Drink 8-10 glasses of water. Avoid and reduce any sodas or alcohol.
3. Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 3, 6, and 9) which are found in peanuts, corn, avocado, olive oil, canola oil, and fish.
4. Fiber Intake: 20-35 grams per day (raisins, whole wheat breads, fruits, and vegetables).
5. Eat 5-6 meals per day in small portions. Make sure you eat every 2-3 hours to increase your metabolism.
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
1. Eat 5-6 meals that include larger portions.
2. Increase protein intake to 1-2 grams of your bodyweight.
3. Increase carbohydrate intake.
4. Drink 8-10 glasses of water. Avoid and reduce any sodas or alcohol.
5. Focus on strength and weight training exercises by training 3-4 days for 30-60 minutes with drop sets, supersets, pyramid sets, and negative reps of different workout techniques to enhance muscle growth.
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change?
1. Believing in God.
2. Listening to meaningful music.
3. Find family and peers who support you.
4. Believing in yourself.
5. Visualize your goals.
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Monday: Chest, triceps, and core.
- Tuesday: Back and biceps.
- Wednesday: Legs and core.
- Thursday: Shoulders and traps.
- Friday: Rest
- Saturday: Rest
- Sunday: Rest
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
1. Proper dieting.
2. Workout your abdominals 2-3 days per week.
3. Add green tea to your diet, which will give you energy and ability to trim body fat on your physique.
4. 4-6 core exercises with 2-3 sets per exercise.
5. Focus on these four areas to develop a strong core:
- Rectus Abdominals – Upper Abdominal Muscles
- Transverse Abdominals – Lower Abdominal Muscles
- Obliques – Lateral Abdominal Muscles
- Erectile Spine – Lower Back Muscles
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for toning the thighs, hips and butt?
1. A clean diet is 70-80% of the results when building your physique.
5. Leg presses.