Thomas Oben – Male Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Thomas Oben
- Height: 5’10”
- Weight: 189 pounds
- Date of Birth: 6/17/1987
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Black
- Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom
Thomas Oben – Male Fitness Model Interview
How did you get started in the fitness field?
I got a job part-time working in a gym, always loved working out to improve fitness and strength for rugby and it just went from there.
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
Being in excellent shape, I feel good, and it helps me be a better rugby player.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
Still very new to the industry so that will come later on.
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
I would try both. It doesn’t hurt to contact the photographers directly but I think an agency would work better. The photographers could then find you if you were what they are looking for. A lot less time consuming.
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
Depending on the day. Start with a run early morning about 7 AM before either work or university. Then an afternoon/evening workout 4/5.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
I would say interval training. Spend about 8-10 minutes on 3 different machines and work hard with 2 minutes rest between machines. Try to keep your heart rate between 65-85%. Machines used: stepper, bike, rower.
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
I would aim for about a kilogram every week. It’s a nice round number and a realistic target so you feel like you are hitting your goal which makes you work harder.
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
I would use protein shakes after to make sure your muscle gets replenished after a workout. There are various kinds, so find one that works for you.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
Pick 1 snack, and 1 fast food that you allow yourself to pig out on. Make sure it is not too unhealthy, and moderate how often you eat it. Once a week would not upset your diet too often.
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
Nuts, fish, steak, protein anything high in protein really. Sardines, eggs are an essential.
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
Keep it simple to start with. Start with a gentle workout on a cardio vascular machine, avoid the rower. Get your heart rate to between 35-55% for 20 minutes. Next do a circuit on the resistance machines. Try to keep track of how much you lift and how many times and then gradually increase it.
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
You can’t go wrong with a salad, rice is always a good bet. Stick to grilled food rather than fried meals.
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
Squats and lunges. Resistance machines are good as well, but for a complete workout in the lower body squats hit all the major muscles down there.
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
Time and motivation. I work, study and play rugby so it is sometimes hard to get a workout in between then. Sometimes it involves me waking up at half 6, and other times going to the gym at 9pm (if I’m not at rugby training) which means all my days end at about half 10.
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
- Breakfast: Omelet
- Mid-Morning Snack: Yogurt, apple
- Lunch: Rice & chicken
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: Protein shake
- Dinner: Chicken Salad
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: Bench Press/Shoulder Press/ Bent over row.
- Cardio Exercises: Rowing machine 2,000 meters/ Bike Interval training.
- Additional Training: Core stability training.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
1. Don’t neglect your cardio training.
2. Eat right, get a lot of protein down you.
3. Specific Training; bicep curls.
4. Specific Training: alternate exercises for bicep: pullups and bent over row.
5. High rep range, if your going for toned then keep your reps 10-15.
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
1. Combine cardio training with resistance training.
2. Work within the right training zone to optimize fat burn. Lower intensity.
3. Eat right, cut down the carbs and calories.
4. Eat more little meals than 4 big large meals a day.
5. Steer clear of high-sugar, processed foods, trans fats & excessive alcohol.
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
1. High protein intake.
2. Mix high-intensity interval training into your routine.
3. Steer clear of high sugar, processed foods, trans fats and excessive alcohol.
4. Drink lots of water.
5. Low reps, high resistance training.
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change?
1. Give yourself a realistic goal.
2. Get a personal trainer or training partner.
3. Start slowly.
4. Vary your exercises.
5. Have fun, take part in classes to make it feel less like work.
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Monday: Chest & triceps (finish with 30 minutes cardio)
- Tuesday: Back & biceps
- Wednesday: Power training (lower body squats, clean and press) (finish with 30 minutes cardio)
- Thursday: Day off
- Friday: Shoulder and abs
- Saturday: Rugby match
- Sunday: Cardio and deadlifts
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
1. Nutrition: eat 4-6 small meals a day. Make sure they are high in nutrients and natural products.
2. Don’t ignore your cardio training, burn fat around that area.
3. Forget about crunches and situps. Core stability exercises such as planks work better.
4. Do leg raises and incline training on treadmill.
5. Drink water and have lots of rest.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for toning the thighs, hips and butt?
1. Incline running or hill cycling on bike (high intensity)
3. Full body workout (increase your metabolism)
4. Lunges, deadlifts, leg press
5. Low calorie eating