Alana became interested in fitness when she decided that her body wasn’t making her happy anymore. So, so she decided to change it. She is a firm believer in change and she thinks when you really want to do something, you just need do it. No talking about it, just act and get after it. Alana took this mid set and turned it into a fitness career. She has placed 2nd at the 2005 Team Universe and earned her professional card. She also placed 8th at the 2004 North American Figure Championships.
Alana Hernandez Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Alana Hernandez
- Height: 5’6.5
- Weight: 130
- Hair Color: Light Brown
- Bust: 38
- Waist: 24
- Hips: 38
- Location: Miami, Florida
- Website: www.hellanahernandez.info
Alana Hernandez Fitness Model Interview
How did you get started in the fitness modeling field?
I was convinced by a promoter of a Tampa show – The Tampa Bay Classic – John Schleicher to compete and try it out.. SO I DID!
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
It gave me the opportunity to express myself through personal gym time. It was also a great way to show my talents.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
FINALLY EARNING MY PRO CARD!!
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
I would say the BEST way to get into the fitness modeling industry is to be persistent and adamant about your dreams. I truly believe that ANYTHING is possible, if you put your mind to it.
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
I usually get up very early to train my 6 and 7am clients, and head to the gym afterwards to do my morning cardio on an empty stomach. Right after cardio, I go home, eat chicken and rice that was prepared the night before, and train a couple more clients. I will then after head again to the gym to do my workout. I usually start my workout with 20-25 minutes of cardio, just to get the extra time in there! I will go back home, eat again, and depending how close a show is, I may go back to the gym for another round of cardio.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
If you are in good health and want to really burn off calories, I would suggest sprinting and running combined or maybe the stair-mill.
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
You can plan to lose anywhere from 2-3 pounds per week safely, depending on how fast or slow your metabolism is.
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
Believe it or not, I have found that just by increasing your body temperature can actually help stimulate fat-loss, so I recommend Cayenne Pepper and a cup of coffee before a workout to some of my clients. Those clients who are a little more advanced, I may have them try an over the counter fat burner.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
I have found that coffee really does work for my sugar and food cravings. Also I use lettuce and vinegar a lot. Every time I crave bead food, I either go to sleep, or make myself go to the gym to do more cardio.
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
My main foods are: Chicken, Eggs, Farina, Oatmeal, Sweet potatoes, Rice and Salad Greens
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
Take it SLOW! Yes, you don’t have to be afraid to sweat during your first workout or have your heart rate pump a little faster, and you can do that at first by just concentrating on your correct form and movements.
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
There is ALWAYS This EASY TO REMEMBER TIP: STICK WITH PLAIN CHICKEN SALADS. Can’t go wrong there! It ALL comes down to: HOW BAD DO YOU REALLY WANT TO WIN?
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
Squats! Deep and low and also sprints.
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
I would have to say the bread and wine since I do like to relax a little at times.
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
- Breakfast: Chicken breast and 1 cup of rice with veggies
- Mid-Morning Snack: protein shake with ½ cup of oatmeal
- Lunch: Chicken breast and 1 cup of rice again with salad or veggies
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: Protein Shake with oatmeal
- Dinner: Steak or chicken salad
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: Squats, Lunges, dips
- Cardio Exercises: Spinning Bike, Stair-Mill, or Running
- Additional Training: I use a lot of cross-training in my routines
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
- I would definitely say to hit cardio in order to see any kind of tone and shape.
- Barbell curls and Dips on the bench are a favorite combo of mine. It gives a great pump!
- I love to LUNGE to get a nice, firm BUTT!
- Front and side lateral raises have helped my shoulders have a nice roundness to them.
- I also add plenty of cable exercises to my routines to really feel the burn.
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
- DRINKING PLENTY OF WATER
- NO CHEATING
- SURROUND YOURSELF BY PERSONS OF THE SAME POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND GOALS TO HELP KEEP YOU MOTIVATED.
- JUST RELAX AND LET YOURSELF LEARN AND GET TO LIKE THE IDEA OF LIVING HEALTHIER AND HAPPIER THROUGH EXERCISE AND EATING RIGHT.
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
- Make your eating your #1 priority
- Try to slow down your metabolism a little by relaxing when not in motion
- Eat plenty of protein AND carbs
- Try Supplementing with Flax Seed Oil
- Train INTENSE and MEDIUM-HEAVY for 30-40 minutes, 3-4 X’s a Week
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change:
- Really decide to take whatever steps is needed to get to your goal
- Surround yourself by POSITIVE, MOTIVATED, and DETERMINED PEOPLE.
- Eliminate all negativity as much as you can from around you.
- Remember that this is YOUR goal, nobody else’s!
- Just keep thinking of how GOOD you are going to feel about yourself when you do complete your goals.
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Cardio- 45 minutes in the am- empty stomach
- Legs- squats and leg extension supersets
- Lunges and step up combinations
- Abs: Crunches and leg lifts- 4- 50 reps 2 Sets
- Cardio- 30 -40 Minutes on an empty stomach
- Chest and Tri’s- Hammer strength incline chest press with medium to heavy weight for high reps.
- Then I will Superset that with Dips
- TAKE OFF WEIGHTS 45 minutes cardio-empty stomach
- 25 minutes cardio on an empty stomach
- Then Shoulders, Abs, and Calves
- Cardio- 45 Minutes on an empty stomach
- Hamstrings- Squats with weighted lunges, heavy weight, high reps
- One leg standing Ham Curl- Medium weight 15-20 reps each leg
- Dead lifts with a bended and straight knees…high reps, medium to heavy weights
- Back and Bi’s with 30 Minutes Cardio- Very Heavy training and INTENSE.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
- CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO!
- Keep positive mental attitude and outlook
- Keep away from dairy, cheese, alcohol
- Keep fats in your diet, but watch what kind of fats.
- Try to cut meals after 6:30/7PM at night
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for toning the thighs, hips and butt?
- Lunges, Squats, and LEG PRESS are my Favorites!
- Use the Stair-Mill for cardio
- Sprint outside
- Learn to squeeze your glutes when doing any kind of cardio
- Watch your food! Eat CLEAN!