Erin got started in the industry doing extra work through Ambassador Talent in Chicago working with clients such as Snickers and Infiniti Cars. She is an official ESPN Miller Lite Fuegos Girl and her largest ad was for Pony Athletic Shoes which went international last year in 120 countries. Erin has worked for various clients such as: Snickers, Infiniti Cars, Miller, Miller Lite, ESPN Radio 1000, Chromium, Bohyme, Playboy, Shutupandmodel, Liquid Assets, Hot Import Nights, and has been published in various magazines. She was also chosen for a recent reality television show and is an upcoming model for a national magazine.
Erin Connor – Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Erin Connor
- Height: 5’6
- Weight: 113
- Hair Color: Light brunette with blonde highlights
- Bust: 34 C
- Waist: 23
- Hips: 35
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Website: www.erinconnor.com
Erin Connor – Fitness Model Interview
How did you get started in the fitness modeling field?
I got started in the industry doing extra work through Ambassador Talent in Chicago working with clients such as Snickers and Infiniti Cars. I’m an official ESPN Miller Lite Fuegos Girl, my largest ad was for Pony Athletic Shoes which went international last year in 120 countries and I have worked for various clients such as: Snickers, Infiniti Cars, Miller, Miller Lite, ESPN Radio 1000, Chromium, Bohyme, Playboy, Shutupandmodel, Liquid Assets, Hot Import Nights, and have been published in various magazines. I was also chosen for a recent reality tv show and am an upcoming model for a national magazine.
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
The one thing I like best about being into fitness is maintaining my health and keeping my body looking its best!
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
My biggest accomplishment in the fitness field was definitely my Pony Athletic Shoes Ad. As previously noted, it was advertised in 120 countries in 2005 and I gained a great deal of exposure.
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
I believe the best way to get started is to simply (easier said than done) prepare yourself mentally and physically as best you can in the fitness modeling industry. It may be best to use an agency to maintain consistent work, however, I, myself, have done quite well with freelancing.
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
My daily routine, concerning exercise, consists of a mile-long run in the morning followed by sets of squats, lunges, crunches, situps and weightlifting. This is repeated, if possible, at the end of each day.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
Honestly, the number one “bang for the buck” cardio exercise is either bicycling or swimming. These two activities work every part of your body.
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
Losing weight and maintaining that weight is different for everyone because everyone has a different body type, diet regimen, cholesterol level, body fat, and muscle mass difference. Weight loss and dieting should usually be determined more or less with your doctor or personal trainer.
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
Regarding food or supplements, I try to stick to a diet or exercise routine that focuses on food rather than supplements. My suggestion is to hydrate (30 minutes before and most definitely after a workout) and eat plenty of energy inducing products such as energy bars, whole wheat breads, or even high protein meats (for strength training). Protein builds muscles and also contributes to bodily reparation after a workout.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
My cravings for junk food are almost always constant! Fortunately, I was blessed with a very high metabolism so that when a junk food frenzy comes my way it doesn’t quite throw me off the deep end! So, if you are not like me (metabolism wise), try to stick to no/low fat foods such as vegetables (dipped in low fat ranch), fruits, and pretzels.
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
A healthy shopping list to stick with would include: High-protein meats, energy bars, nuts, vegetables, fruits, low/no fat skim milk, whole wheat bread, fish, ground turkey in place of red meat (for those who forego the high protein meats).
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
To get started on the right track with an exercise program, the best place to begin is to see your physician for a special diet catering to your needs. I would also recommend a personal trainer who will help you work on problems areas.
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
Stop eating out! Just kidding! There are various options when it comes to eating out at a restaurant. It’s fully understood in our world that not everyone can just prepare a home-cooked meal every day of the week after a long, grueling day at work. Restaurant menus usually always have healthier, lighter options. Choose meals that are in the vegetarian sections, low-fat meals, or request a meal from their luncheon menu which often contains smaller portions in comparison to evening suppers. Many restaurants also carry the Atkins diet meals which is another safe route.
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
The exercises I recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt are the same exercises also that you would use for sculpting your thighs. Try doing regular sets of lunges and SQUEEZE, SQUEEZE, SQUEEZE those glutes when working out!!
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
The most challenging thing I deal with concerning consistently staying in shape is maintaining my diet. Due to the fact that my metabolism is high, I tend to think I can get away with eating a variety of foods that I shouldn’t. This will eventually catch up to me!
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
- Breakfast: Egg whites scrambled, dry toast, orange juice (occasional strip of bacon)
- Mid-Morning Snack: Granola, trail mix bar, fruits or vegetables
- Lunch: Turkey sandwich on rye or wheat with lettuce, mustard, tomato and no mayo. Minestrone soup. Apple.
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: vegetables with low-fat ranch, fruit or pretzels
- Dinner: Baked fish, steamed vegetables, and white rice. You might try ending your day with a glass of red wine. It’s good for your heart and circulation.
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: Light weightlifting, lunges, squats, crunches, sit-ups
- Cardio Exercises: Swimming, bicycling
- Additional Training: Regular jogging or running, light weightlifting
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
1. Various curls
2. Swim! ( I can always suggest this! Backstrokes work you the hardest)
3. Pull-ups (start with small sets and work your way up)
4. Push-ups (same suggestion as “pull-ups”)
5. Weightlifting (start out light or consult your personal trainer)
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
1. Consistent exercise
2. High cardio workout
3. Drink a lot of water because hydration is key
4. See your physician for s specific diet that fits you
5. Hire a personal trainer to work on specific problem areas.
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
1. High protein diet
2. Find a bodybuilder supplement that’s right for you
3. Always remember to see your physician for a recommended diet
4. Hire a personal trainer who will help you work on the correct areas of your body
that need work
5. Start weightlifting at a home gym or a local gym/health center
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change?
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
2. Keep an optimistic, open mind to maintain your drive and goals
3. Maintain a daily exercise routine and stick with it!
4. Make sure to give your body plenty of time to rest and recuperate itself
5. Start a journal which states a daily exercise routine and allows weight comparison day-today to remind yourself of what you have accomplished
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Monday: (I switch up my routine from day-to-day). Crunches (2 sets of 50), sit-ups (2 sets of 50), mile-long run
- Tuesday: Curls and lifts (2 sets of 25), lunges (2 sets of 50), leg lifts (2 sets of 50), mile-long run
- Wednesday: (same as Monday) Add swimming at local gym
- Thursday: (same as Tuesday)
- Friday: (same as Monday)
- Saturday: (same as Tuesday) (add bicycling, volleyball, basketball or water sports
on the weekends as weather permits)
- Sunday: (same as Monday)
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
1. Maintain a restricted diet specific to you.
2. Hire a personal trainer.
3. Sit-ups (switch off days to allow recuperation).
5. Your diet is critical for achieving a ripped stomach! Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.