Fradelene Derisma – Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Fradelene Derisma
- Height: 5’6″
- Weight: 145 pounds
- Date of Birth: 01/11/1991
- Hair Color: Brown
- Bust: 34A
- Waist: 27″
- Hips: 40″
- Location: Margate, Florida
Fradelene Derisma – Fitness Model Interview
What is your background?
Hi my name is Fradelene. I was born in Haiti. Most of my school year I spent time running track, playing basketball and soccer. I love working out and its also very important to me. I’m here to start and improve my modeling talent. I love fashion. One day I would love be an athletic model.
How did you get started in the fitness field?
I use to play basketball and soccer in middle school, junior high and high school teams. I also ran track in high school and when I graduated I continued running until work got in the way! Being fit is very important to me, so I maintain a healthy diet and regular workout routine.
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
I love how many people ask me what I do to stay so fit. I’m actually thinking of getting my personal training certificate and I know its going to benefit me in the future. To help someone else feel good about themselves is such an honor. I hope that I can help others gain confidence.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
My biggest accomplishment right now is that I’m able to keep myself in shape and also get to train some of my classmates and my co-workers.
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
Definitely do both! It doesn’t hurt to contact photographers so you can build your portfolio. Modeling agencies definitely help you get started. The more the better!
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
I wake up early and get my cardio and first meal in so I get it out of the way before school and can start my day. Then I head off to school making sure I eat every 2-3 hours. Having meals pre-made is key and helps you save time. After school I hit the gym for weights, then its home to relax and spend time doing my school work or watching TV. I usually go to bed early so I can get at least 8 hours of sleep in before the next school day.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
I’m a big fan of treadmill intervals. Try to run uphill for 30 minutes then jogging for 10 minutes, repeat that one time and you’re done. You’ll be amazed how fast times goes by!
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
Aim for 1-2 pounds a week. Anything more is a little too extreme. Once you’re at your goal weight, just keep it up.
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
Try Ensure. It’s important to help your muscles recover and it will keep you from getting hungry.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
Don’t be too hard on yourself. You can eat some junk food, but not too much. Especially after a long hard week of work and workouts, reward yourself and don’t feel guilty about it. You deserve it!
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
I eat lots of fish and veggies. Zucchini and asparagus are some of my favorites. White fish is packed full of protein and helps keep you lean. Orange roughy and tilapia are delicious. It’s very important to create a healthy shopping list.
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
Hire a personal trainer for a few sessions so you can learn proper form and technique so you don’t injure yourself. You can also go online to watch exercise videos, if you can’t afford a personal trainer. Also, change your diet. Clean eating magazines are everywhere with tasty recipes and information. Lastly, keep a food journal so you know what you’re putting in your mouth and where your making progress.
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
Communicate to your server that you are looking for a lighter fare meal. I think your safest bet is a Caesar salad with the dressing on the side, chicken breast across the top, minus the cheese and croutons. Just keep in mind that you want to eat ‘simple’ meals. Avoid casseroles, blended foods, gravies, toppings, etc. The operative word here is simple.
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
I love squats and I make sure to squat low. Squatting below parallel really targets your glutes. Walking lunges are great for your butt too. Also, if you want to build muscle, do heavier weight and lower reps.
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
Cardio. It has to be done and most people talk themselves out of it but it is very important to get that 5-6 days of cardio in a week.
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
- Breakfast: Two eggs and fruit.
- Mid-Morning Snack: Ensure and cookies.
- Lunch: Chicken breast with veggies or turkey sandwich on whole wheat.
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: Drink a Ensure.
- Dinner: Chicken breast with veggies.
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: Pull-ups, squats, straight leg deadlifts, leg extensions, concentration curls, shoulder press, tricep extensions, pushups, flys.
- Cardio Exercises: At least 30 minutes doing treadmill intervals, stairs, bike.
- Additional Training: Abs, at least 4 sets of 60 reps (sit-ups).
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
1. High reps and lighter weight.
2. Women neglect shoulders but they are key to a defined look.
3. Concentrate on failing, even though its lighter weight and higher reps, go until you fail. Really feel that burn.
4. Don’t forget to hit your rear delts.
5. Skull crushers are great for women.
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
1. Cardio at least 30 minutes a day.
2. Avoid alcoholic beverages.
3. Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night. So you could be ready for the next day.
4. Reduce your sugar intake.
5. Avoid high fat food as much as you can.
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
1. High protein diet in order to maintain a positive nitrogen balance.
2. Lift as heavy as you can for 8 to 10 reps.
3. Eat every 2-3 hours.
4. Make sure you have sufficient clean calories (+ 500 energy balance).
5. Have a good workout split where your muscle groups don’t interfere with recovery time.
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change?
1. Change your exercise routine weekly.
2. Change your nutrition plan on a monthly basis.
3. Incorporate fun activities like going to the park and playing Frisbee or speed walking on a scenic trail.
4. Workout with a training partner.
5. Involve your spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend on your fitness journey. They will become your biggest motivators if you involve them.
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Monday: Work every part of your body; legs, abs, calves etc.
- Tuesday: 45 minutes of running, 4 sets of 60 sit-up for abs, calves 3 sets of 50.
- Wednesday: I do active recovery, with jumping squats, jumping lunges, mountain climbers and jumping jacks.
- Thursday: Abs, calves and 45 minutes on StairMaster.
- Friday: Off
- Saturday: I run for an 1 hour at the park and workout at home for 15 minutes.
- Sunday: My day off for church.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
1. Cardio sessions 3 to 6 times a week.
2. Watch your diet, reduce carbs and fat intake.
3. Resistance workouts at least 3 times a week.
4. When performing abdominal exercises, make sure your technique is correct with slow movements and various exercise and angles.
5. Stay positive, patient and consistent.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for toning the thighs, hips and butt?
1. Nutrition is key. Eat 5 or 6 small, healthy meals per day.
2. Do cardio 5 times per week, 30-45 minutes at a time.
3. Do legs twice a week. 3-4 sets of 15-20 repetitions for each exercise.
4. Incorporate lunges, squats, leg press, leg extensions and leg curls into your workout.
5. Cut back on sugar, bread and alcohol.