Leha Long – Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Leha Long
- Height: 5’6″
- Weight: 125 pounds
- Date of Birth: 8/22/1970
- Hair Color: Brown
- Bust: 34
- Waist: 25
- Hips: 35
- Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Leha Long – Fitness Model Interview
What is your background?
My name is Leha Long. I have been a certified personal trainer for several years now. I really enjoy this field because it allows me to work with people who want to be motivated and help themselves to live healthy lives. I have a Master’s Degree in Technology, and I am currently working on my Specialist Degree. I have been modeling for many years now, and I am very excited to say that I am getting ready for my first competition.
How did you get started in the fitness field?
I had a friend that lost a lot of weight and looked really good. She started running, so I did too. I have always exercised, but I just started training with weights a few years ago. I wanted to look more toned. I enjoy exercising because it motivates me and makes me feel my best. I want others to look and feel their best too, so that’s why I became a certified trainer.
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
Exercising has opened up a lot of doors for me. I feel and look healthier than I did when I was younger. Working out gives me energy and motivation. I am about to do my first competition, and I am very excited about this. I have met a lot of people in this field. I have also enjoyed being into fitness because it motivates me to stay in shape because I have to be ready for photo shoots.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
I have a couple of accomplishments with being in the fitness field. One accomplishment is getting my certification as a personal trainer. The other accomplishment is entering my first fitness competition which is coming up very soon.
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
There are a couple of ways to get started in the fitness modeling industry. Researching is always good. Find out who you are dealing with to make sure they are legitimate. Contacting a photographer is good if you know them or if you have seen their work. If you don’t know them then take someone with you for safety precautions. Contacting an agency is very beneficial as well. They are great with helping you find modeling jobs.
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
My daily routine through the week is going to work, working out, then going home. I usually relax and read a book or go to the park on the weekends.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
Keep a jump rope nearby. It’s amazing how many calories you can burn with a simple jump rope! If you don’t have one then you can still jump up and down and pretend you are using one. Jump ropes are great too if you travel. You can pack one in your suitcase and take it with you wherever you go, or pack a pair of tennis shoes, and go for a walk during your lunch break.
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
First of all, I think that if you are happy with what you see in the mirror then that’s all that matters. However, for health purposes you need to be at a healthy weight. I think that it is important to consult with a physician and/or a personal trainer to discuss a healthy weight for you.
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
Whey protein isolate is always good to use for snacking. Make sure you drink a protein shake after your workout. Glutamine is also good to mix in with your shake right after a workout. Multivitamins are very beneficial and will help keep your body healthy and in motion. Everybody’s bodies are different. You just have to know what works for you.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
This is a perfect question for me right now because I am getting ready for a competition. Motivation and dedication is the key. Set a goal for yourself to help keep you on track. Sometimes I crave peanut butter and trail mix, but then I stop and remember what my goals are.
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
Lean meat and protein, lots of veggies, and sweet potatoes and brown rice. These foods will definitely keep you in shape!
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
First, I would recommend seeing a doctor to discuss your weight concerns. I would also recommend hiring a personal trainer in your area. Your doctor and trainer will definitely help you with your exercise and meal program to get you on the right track.
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
I have friends that travel a lot, so they pack food with them. If you are unable to pack food to take with you then I would definitely try to stick with something healthy on the menu. Restaurants are pretty good about cooking it healthy for you. Just ask that they use spray and no salt.
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
Bridges are excellent for this! I would also recommend donkey kicks. These are great exercises because you can do these anywhere. I usually put on ankle weights at home to do the donkey kicks.
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
The most challenging thing I deal with to stay in shape is food. I love food! I love to try different types of food. However, I have disciplined myself to have only one cheat meal a week.
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
- Breakfast: ½ a cup of oatmeal, 1 egg yolk with 3 egg whites
- Mid-Morning Snack: Either a whey isolate protein shake or 5 oz. protein with 1 cup of veggies, and 3 oz. sweet potato or brown rice.
- Lunch: 5 oz. of protein, 1 cup of veggies, and 3 oz. sweet potato
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: Whey isolate protein shake with water
- Dinner: 5 oz. protein and 1 cup of veggies or a salad.
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: I try to switch out using machines and free weights. This keeps my body guessing and keeps me from getting bored with my workouts.
- Cardio Exercises: Climbing stairs at a local high school, running outdoors or on the treadmill (change the levels), and the elliptical machine.
- Additional Training: I enjoy doing plyometrics. It’s amazing what you can do with just using your body weight. It also keeps your workouts fun!
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
1. 21’s are great for biceps. Do regular bicep curls for a count of 7 but stop midway. Then do 7 reps beginning from the mid-section bringing your curl all the way up. You will end with 7 reps of a full bicep curl. Try doing one set at first then work your way up to 3 sets.
2. Pushups are great for the arms because they work different arm muscles, and you can do these anywhere you go!
3. Dips are another exercise that can be done anywhere, and they are great for triceps.
4. Remember to switch out your exercises so your body doesn’t hit a plateau.
5. For your diet remember to measure your food and eat every 2-3 hours.
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
1. Drink lots of water.
2. Eat clean (i.e., low sodium, no salt)
3. Measure your food. You will be amazed at how much fat you will lose just by eating less and eating more often.
4. Be consistent with your workouts.
5. Set a realistic goal then challenge yourself to do more.
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
1. Use a pure whey isolate protein powder.
2. Eat lean meat.
3. Discuss with your doctor and/or trainer about which supplements they think is best for you.
4. Workout one or two body parts at a time so you don’t overtrain.
5. Use an online program or phone app to keep track of your calories.
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change?
1. Set a goal for yourself. Buy a bathing suit you would like to fit into or enter a competition.
2. Think about your health! Not only should you look good on the outside, but you also need to be healthy on the inside.
3. Workout with a trainer and/or a partner. Getting burned out is normal, so having someone to push you is definitely beneficial and will keep you on track. It’s okay to give yourself a little break every now and then too.
4. Join a gym that has fun classes you can take.
5. Take your cardio outdoors! Hiking and running outside is fun and the atmosphere can be breathtaking.
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Monday: Legs (quads, hamstrings, calves), abs, and cardio (run outdoors or stationary bike). I usually do 3-4 sets of 12-15 using high weigh and low reps.
- Tuesday: Upper body (biceps, triceps) and cardio (plyometrics). I do high reps with low weights.
- Wednesday: Cardio (run outdoors) and abs.
- Thursday: Legs (glutes) and cardio (plyometrics and sprints).
- Friday: Cardio and abs. I usually go for a run outside.
- Saturday: I train upper body parts that I did not train throughout the week. I mostly train shoulders and back on Saturdays using the pyramid method for reps and sets. I use the elliptical machine for cardio.
- Sunday: Rest day!
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
1. Make sure you watch what you are eating. Start looking at the labels on the foods you are interested in to make sure it isn’t packed with a lot of sodium.
2. Keep your diet and workouts consistent so you will see a change.
3. Situps are definitely good to do. Crunches and full situps are a plus.
4. V-ups. This is great for lower abs. Place your legs straight up in the air and lift your arms (arms should be straight). Your body will look like the letter “V”. Pulse up and down for about 20-25 reps.
5. “Pass the Ball”. This is a fun and great exercise to work your midsection Take a medium or large sized exercise ball and place it between your feet. Raise your upper body and lower body at the same time and pass the ball to your hands. You will then lay flat then raise up again and pass the ball back to your feet. Do about 15-20 reps.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for toning the thighs, hips and butt?
1. No matter what switch out your exercises to keep your body guessing or you won’t see any change.
2. Go hiking. Walking up steep hills can do your glutes and legs wonder!
3. Try finding a local high school that has bleachers you can run up and down. You will definitely feel the burn with this exercise!
4. Running is also good for legs, hips, and glutes. Try running outside somewhere where they are flat areas with hills to change it up. If you are not able to run outside then use a treadmill, but remember to change the level and elevation every minute or two.
5. Eat clean! Protein, veggies, and sweet potatoes are great for your diet, but remember to eat in portions and eat every 2-3 hours. Don’t eat foods with lots of sodium and never eat salt with your food! Look at the labels on food so you know what you are eating.