I have been in the fitness industry for over 13 years. I have many talents but my passion is fitness. I am a NASM certified personal trainer, ACSM group fitness instructor, Johnny G certified spin instructor, and I’m also certified in CPR/First Aid. I am a figure competitor and fitness model.
Patty Wilson – Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Patty Wilson
- Height: 5’1″
- Weight: 110
- Date of Birth: 3/15/1972
- Hair Color: Dark Brown
- Bust: 34D
- Waist: 27
- Hips: 33 1/2
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
Patty Wilson – Fitness Model Interview
How did you get started in the fitness modeling field?
By taking group fitness classes I realized that I loved the way it made me feel, both mentally and physically. I then realized that this is something I wanted to do forever.
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
The results my clients get working with me and to see them excited and happy with their results. Also the personal changes and accomplishes I make with my own goals.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
Following through on my goals of becoming a figure competitor.
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
I would say get linked up to a modeling site that promotes new models and then get some photos done and start a portfolio.
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
Always busy! I start off with work bright and early at 6am, then come home or run errands, try to unwind a little and then back to the gym to either train myself or teach a group fitness class. Then home to get stuff situated for the next day and then to bed. During the weekends something always come up to fill the days.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
Stair stepper or jump rope are great.
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
1 to 2 lbs per week.
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
A good branch chain amino acid and some type of carb/protein blend.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
Give into your craving but make sure to choose a healthy option and portion control. Otherwise if you deprive your body, you will eventually binge eat.
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
Chicken, sweet potatoes, vegetables, nuts of some sort and crystal light.
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
Seek out the help of a professional and get an assessment done which will help get you on the road to success.
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
Stick with steamed or baked items. Do not look at the dessert or appetizer menu and you can always choose to split a meal with someone. This helps for portion control.
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
The #1 exercise you want to include for a bigger butt is squats!
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
Having the energy to train myself after I have trained clients all day.
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
- Breakfast: Protein shake with grapefruit
- Mid-Morning Snack: Lean protein, veggies, walnuts
- Lunch: Lean protein, veggies, 3 oz sweet potato
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: Protein shake with fiber muffin
- Dinner: Lean protein, veggies, 3 oz carbs, peanut butter or nuts
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: Switch between free weights and cables, bands
- Cardio Exercises: Stair stepper, jump rope, kickboxing, running
- Additional Training: Pilates, belly dancing (just started)
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
1. Do 2 to 3 different exercises of 10 to 12 reps
2. Don’t be scared to lift heavy. Challenge yourself
3. PUSH UPS
4. Eat your carbohydrates
5. Cardio to burn off the fat
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
1. Eat clean to stay lean
2. Try to stay away from alcoholic beverages
3. Balance out your foods, do not limit any food category
4. Cardio & weight training are equal in the benefits they give your body. Do both!
5. Watch your portion sizes.
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
1. Do 3 sets of each exercise with no more than a minute rest in between
2. Use a challenging weight and do slow and controlled movements
3. Eat 6 to 7 small meals throughout the day
4. Take your branched chain amino acids (BCAAs)
5. Stay hydrated
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change?
1. A buddy system – Have someone workout with you. This way you guys keep each other accountable
2. Hire a personal trainer
3. No excuses! Get to the gym
4. Have a cheat meal weekly
5. Always praise your body and be thankful it is healthy! No bad self body image!
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Monday: Legs & cardio
- Tuesday: Cardio
- Wednesday: Shoulders & triceps
- Thursday: Chest/calves
- Friday: Back/shoulders
- Saturday: Legs
- Sunday: Back & biceps
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
1. 30 to 45 minutes of cardio daily
2. Yoga/pilates 1 time a week
3. Cut out alcohol, fruits in excess and artificial sweeteners
4. Eat a balanced healthy breakfast ever morning
5. Do core work every other day.
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for toning the thighs, hips and butt?
1. Mix up your cardio – don’t do the same thing week after week
2. Train legs at least twice a week
3. Don’t be afraid of heavy weights
4. Switch up your leg routines and/or intensity every couple of weeks
5. Get into a cycling class 1 time a week