Yulia Deyo-Panshina – Fitness Model Statistics
- Name: Yulia Deyo-Panshina
- Height: 5’7″
- Weight: 119 lbs (contest weight), 130-135 lbs (off season)
- Date of Birth: 10/14/1984
- Hair Color: Blonde
- Bust: 92-95 cm (on/off season)
- Waist: 60-64 cm (on/off season)
- Hips: 90-95 cm (on/off season)
- Location: Richmond, Virginia
Yulia Deyo-Panshina – Fitness Model Interview
How did you get started in the fitness field?
I was born and raised in Russia. Growing up, I was involved in gymnastics. Right after the High School I started working as a group fitness instructor. I taught aerobics, abs classes while I was attending my University classes.
I traveled due to the career I was getting. So anywhere I go – Greece, Russia, Ukraine, and USA I would do some kind of training. I either taught aerobics or muscle conditioning.
One of my Internships brought me to the USA. I loved being here. In addition to my Degree I also got certified as a Group Fitness Instructor and Personal trainer, Nutrition Professional.
Figure Athletics was my next venue. I was amazed by the strong, beautiful ladies who competed. I wanted to challenge myself.
I decided to participate in one of the Fitness shows. I placed 1st in my first show – Fitness Model division, which completely changed my life. I left the corporate world for good and now work as a personal trainer, group fitness instructor, I do nutrition counseling. I also am Whilemina Model. I love what I do and enjoy every day of it.
I have a Master’s Degree in International Tourism, Hospitality and Management. I was involved a lot in “survival tourism” back in Russia. I am a certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor. I am also a Nutrition Certified Professional.
What is the #1 thing you like best about being into fitness?
My job requires me to stay in shape. Also my job is all about helping other people to help themselves. Fitness is something that is not only about looks. It is mostly about your health and well-being. Guiding my clients, changing their life, improving health, becoming more confident is the best reward ever. It is priceless. It keeps me motivated. There is nothing else I’d rather do.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
I won my first Show. I participated in the OCB – Iron City Classic Fitness Model contest and placed first. It was so thrilling, amazing experience.
What is the best way to get started in the fitness modeling industry? Should I just contact the photographers directly or should I use an agency?
I would try to contact your local agencies. Bring your pictures. Be natural, be yourself. Do not use tons of make-up. Natural beauty is what the Agent is looking for. That is exactly how I started. I visited Whilemina Modeling agency and was offered to do the photo shoot with them. Be careful with going to photographer’s houses. Remember, safety first.
Please describe a typical day for you. What is your daily routine like?
Monday through Friday I wake up around 7 am. I answer my e-mail, eat my breakfast. I go to work and train one or two clients. After that I do my 30-40 minute cardio session.
I eat my lunch. Then from 1pm or 2pm I train my clients till 6-7 pm. In between my clients, I squeeze in my 3rd meal. At night I and my hubby weight train together for an hour. If I am prepping for the show, I might do extra 20 minutes of cardio as well. We go home and eat again. My last meal is around 8-9pm. I eat every 2.5-3 hours during the day. I go to bed around 11pm.
Saturday and Sundays are little different. I might work out less and spend some time with my husband, my friends, I also teach cycle classes.
I don’t have that much time during the day to workout, so I really want to burn major calories in a short amount of time. What is the #1 “bang for the buck” cardio exercise I should do to burn serious calories?
Diet is number one! Remember to eat right. You can exercise as much as you want to and never see results if your nutrition is off. So start by cleaning your diet.
High Intensity Training is something that boosts your metabolism and really helps when you want to lose weight and have no time. It takes 20 to 25 minutes to complete work out. Try sprints: 1 min on and 1 minute rest, or 40 min on and 1 min rest. Do jump-squats do lunges – it is a great cardio. Jump rope and do jumping jacks. Mix all of these exercises and put them into 20 minute period. You’ll sweat and burn tons of calories and most importantly your body will still burn those calories when you go back and sit down.
How much weight (pounds) should I focus on losing every week? What is a safe amount to make sure I keep it off?
Let your body adjust. Healthy pace is 1.5-2 lbs a week. But again, once you start exercising and eating healthy you might lose up to 7 lbs a week, just by dropping water. Then it slows down. Take one day at a time. See, how your clothes fit. If you exercise, you might gain some muscle mass. Scale might show your weight go up.
Look in the mirror and take pictures. Do not go crazy over the numbers. You want to be healthy and happy – that’s the goal!
What type of food or supplements should I take before and after my workouts to help me see results in gaining lean muscle and losing fat?
I use whey powder post-work out (small shake with 1.5 scoop whey, banana and soy milk). Before the work out I can have a piece of fruit.
I use Glucosamine and Glutamine post-work out, I take Multi-Vitamin. But natural food is the best supplement for me.
How do you deal with cravings for junk foods, sweets and salty food? I can stay on a diet for maybe a few weeks but I eventually get really bad cravings and binge on snacks and fast foods.
My craving is peanut butter. When I get to the jar – I lose the track of portion size. So I ask my hubby to hide it from me. I get to treat myself once or twice a week, when I measure 2 TBSP of it and have it with my apple or toast. I always ask him to stand near me, because I won’t behave if I am by myself.
I discovered, I eat less in the presence of other people. I am too shy to binge. So If I feel like having something bad, I do it with my hubby, this way I always try to be a role model for him. Big thing – I do not keep junk food in the house.
I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
Get tons of herbs, spices to make your food smell and taste better. Buy veggies and fruit.
- Protein – chicken, turkey, beans, tofu, fish, eggs
- Fats – almonds, walnuts, canola/ olive oil, almond/peanut butter
- Carbs – yams/sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread/ pasta, brown/wild rice, oatmeal
I’m about 35 pounds overweight. I have never started an exercise program and really don’t know where to start. What tips can you give me to get started on the right track?
You can do it. Just put your mind into it. Balanced nutrition is the key. Start cooking. Find low-carbs, low-fat recipes. Do not eat out. Pack a cooler every day to take to work with you.
Do your cardio – walk and jog outside. Enroll into the gym and start by taking classes there, down the road hire a trainer and have him/her show you the exercises for main body parts. Be determined, be patient.
I tend to eat out most of the time and really don’t know what healthy foods to order from the menu. What tips do you recommend for eating out at restaurants to make sure my diet will not suffer?
Do not be afraid to ask if the cooks can modify your dish. I ask for steamed veggies all the time, salads with no dressing or dressing on the side. Fish, chicken can be cooked without added sauces. Clear broth soups (not the creamy junk). Avoid breads and desserts or learn to share them with your companion.
I have my cheat meals twice a week. I normally put them on the days when I go out. I do not go crazy. I am being careful. You work too hard in the gym to destroy the results with 5 minute pleasure.
What exercises do you recommend for getting a bigger, rounder and fuller butt?
Stair master as a cardio, high incline elliptical. I do squats, walking/stationary lunges, step-ups and glute kicks.
What is the most challenging thing you deal with about consistently staying in top shape?
I am Russian girl. We love breads and baked goods, we love potatoes. Of course, for me to stay away from all the goodies is very hard. So I say, the most challenging thing for me is a diet.
Please describe your normal diet. What do you eat in a typical day to stay in shape?
- Breakfast: Eggs with the slice of toast or some oatmeal (1/2 cup) with 1 scoop of whey powder in it.
- Mid-Morning Snack: Greek yogurt with honey and handful of almonds or slice of Ezekiel bread with some almond butter.
- Lunch: Rice and chicken, some broccoli or Turkey with some yams and veggies
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: cottage cheese, almond butter/ peanut butter or big apple (yummy).
- Dinner: Big salad with 5 oz of protein.
What type of exercises do you include in your routine to stay in shape?
- Strength Training Exercises: My routine changes all the time. I never repeat. I trick and confuse my body. But here are some exercises I do all the time, week after week. Those are my abs routines (leg lifts, Russian twists, and planks), pull-downs for the back, lateral raises/ front raises for shoulders. Step-ups, jump-squats, leg extensions, hamstring curls to keep legs tight.
- Cardio Exercises: I do cardio 4 times a week 40-30 minutes at a time and when in preparation for the show – extra 10-15 min of High Intensity training once or twice a week.
- Additional Training: I try to stay active. I walk to the store near my house. Do not watch much of TV and do more outside activities beach, park, biking. Even taking a book to a park!
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for developing toned and defined arms?
1. You can alternate one week lift heavy (less reps), one week light (more reps) or mix it into one set: start heavy and go down on the weight. Do 4-5 sets.
2. Push-ups help me a lot on the go, when I do not have time to train. Also resistance bends are easy to take with you anywhere and squeeze in a work out.
3. Make sure you follow healthy diet – carbohydrates (rice, yams, sweet potatoes), protein (chicken, fish, turkey).
4. Keep your cardio up to burn excess fat.
5. Drink water!
What are your top 5 tips for losing unwanted body fat?
1. Diet and sleep (7-8 hours).
2. Weight training.
3. Cardio – steady state cardio and once or twice week high intensity training. Keep changing the routine, so your body is not adjusting and keeps losing fat.
5. Positive attitude and patience.
What are your top 5 tips for gaining lean muscle mass?
2. Weight training and adequate rest. You must give your body parts time to recover. Split your routine for that: upper body, lower body, total body, if you train 3 times a week. If your schedule allows to train more often, go by body parts: quads, calves one day, shoulders and back next day, chest and triceps – day three, then bicep and lacking body part – something you did not have time to train well…
3. Cardio (post-weight lifting). I am careful off-season with cardio. I try to go 20 min at a time. I make sure though, that my diet is very clean.
What are the top 5 tips you recommend for staying motivated on a fitness plan and truly making a healthy lifestyle change?
1. Once you get into routine, you’ll love it. Give yourself time. One day at a time. Find a work out buddy if you need somebody to keep you accountable.
2. Get a cooler and start packing your food.
3. Ask for support from your family and friends.
4. Follow a healthy diet. Do not give in into cravings. Distract yourself with things that are different from food – get a manicure, massage, and go for a walk. Create a busy schedule for yourself!
5. Hire the personal trainer to help you stay on track.
What is your training routine like? (Please include a few details – training split, sets/reps, exercises, types of cardio, etc.)
- Monday: Quads and calves. I do not do cardio on my leg day
- Tuesday: Chest and triceps, some shoulder work. Cardio – 40 minutes
- Wednesday: Off (no workouts at all)
- Thursday: Hams and gluts, no cardio
- Friday: Back and bicep. Cardio – 40 minutes
- Saturday: Cardio – 40 minutes and sometimes the total body work out
- Sunday: Cardio – 40 minutes
- Note: I normally do high rep training (15-20 reps), 3 sets
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for losing fat around the stomach and developing a toned and defined midsection?
1. Diet is number one if you ever want to see abs. So get busy and start putting the right stuff in your body.
2. Cardio will help you to burn extra layers of fat that covers and hides you muscle.
3. Of course, do your abs routines like crunches, oblique exercises, and back extensions.
4. Watch your pasture, walk tall and proud and suck that tummy in!
5. Spend less time watching TV and sitting down – get moving!
What are the top 5 tips (specific exercises, diet advice, etc) you recommend for toning the thighs, hips and butt?
1. Have you ever seen the legs of ballerinas? Ballet is so popular in Russia. Google couple exercises that the ballerinas do and do them at home, 10-15 minutes while you are watching the favorite program.
2. Running always helped me and every one of my clients to lean out the legs and thighs. If you have bad knees – walk. Walk more!
3. Of course, I’d suggest for toning high rep light weight training. Not too long of the breaks between sets. It will keep your heart rate up and give you cardio benefit as well as toning the problem areas.
4. Reduce sodium intake. It will give you less water retention.
5. Drink water and eat right!