The supplement we are reviewing today is the brainchild of Jenna Leveille. Jenna is a ShapeFit success story who went on to create your own wellness company called Getting Closer Everyday. Her company helps people achieve their health and fitness goals with support, coaching and accountability. Jenna is a truly inspirational success story having lost over 130 pounds and completely transforming her physique and her entire life!
One of the products in your line of supplements is called Superfood and it’s an all-natural greens and reds powdered formula that provides nutrient dense fiber, probiotics, digestive enzymes and other superfoods. It also includes a concentrated source of antioxidant-rich phytonutrients along with detoxification support while promoting optimal pH levels in the body. The formula consists of an organic fiber blend, organic greens and veggies blend, organic fruits and berries blend along with many other excellent ingredients that we will discuss in this review. This phytonutrient and antioxidant powerhouse is also lactose-free and vegan friendly. Superfood comes in a powdered form which makes it extremely easy to prepare as a delicious drink you can enjoy anytime of the day!
Ingredients & Nutrition Breakdown
Here is a breakdown of the ingredients found in Superfood along with the nutrition facts you will find on the back of the product:
- Organic Fiber Blend (4.275 g): Organic gum acacia, inulin, and flaxseeds provide a total of 3 g of dietary fiber per scoop of Superfood to support gastrointestinal function and probiotic activity as well as to assure multiple health benefits from increased dietary fiber intake.
- Organic Greens and Veggies Blend (1.28 g): Organic carrots, green cabbage, broccoli, beets, chlorella, and spinach provide concentrated sources of folate, chlorophyll, carotenoids, and a multitude of phytonutrients that promote health and fight disease.[8,9] The greens in Superfood are naturally alkalizing. An alkaline pH is needed for optimal metabolic, enzymatic, repair, and immune functions in the body.
- Antioxidant and Phytonutrients Support (710 mg): Ascorbic acid, organic astragalus root, organic ginger root, and organic lycium berry extract provide an antioxidantrich foundation to protect tissues from free-radical damage and promote cellular health. OxyPhyte® Ultra Blend (white tea leaf extract, apple fruit extract, and rosemary leaf extract) provides antioxidant support. In fact, in a preclinical bioavailability trial, results suggested that this blend increased serum antioxidant levels in human subjects.
- Organic Fruits and Berries Blend (875 mg): Organic apple juice powder, strawberry juice powder, sea buckthorn juice powder, açai, acerola fruit extract, plum fruit extract, and blueberry concentrates provide additional antioxidant capacity and health-promoting phytonutrients.
- truebroc™ Broccoli Seed Extract: truebroc provides a concentrated source of sulforaphane glucosinolate, also known as glucoraphanin. Glucoraphanin is a phytochemical precursor to sulforaphane, a naturally occurring isothiocyanate in broccoli that supports and promotes antioxidant and detoxification activity. Scientists at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine identified glucoraphanin (GR) and sulforaphane (SFN) as the “missing links” that correlate a diet rich in cruciferous vegetables with the maintenance of good health. Broccoli sprouts and seeds provide higher concentrations of GR than the mature vegetable. Glucoraphanin is converted to SFN via the action of myrosinase, an enzyme in broccoli that is released during chewing, cutting, or slicing. Microorganisms can also convert GR to SFN; the presence of probiotics and broccoli in Superfood may enhance this conversion in the body. Research suggests that GR and SFN provide long-lasting antioxidant and detoxification support that may improve overall health and well-being.
- Digestive Support Blend (20 mg): Probiotic organisms L acidophilus, B longum, L casei, and L rhamnosus are present to maintain a healthy gastrointestinal microflora. A healthy microflora provides gastrointestinal and immune support and helps to moderate and eliminate pathogenic bacteria. Digestive enzymes (protease, amylase, bromelain, cellulase, lactase, papain, and lipase) in Superfood assist in the breakdown of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and lactose to enhance nutrient digestion and availability.
- Glucoraphanin (5 mg): from broccoli extract (Brassica oleracea italica)(seed)(truebroc™).
- Serving Size: 1 Scoop
- Servings Per Container: About 30
- Calories: 30
- Total Carbohydrate: 7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4 g
- Sugars: 1 g
- Vitamin A: 750 IU
- Vitamin C: 300 mg
Does Not Contain: Wheat, gluten, yeast, soy, animal or dairy products, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs), artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, or artificial preservatives.
Benefits and Effectiveness
This Superfood powder is ideal for anyone who has trouble getting in all those important fruits and veggies each day. Mixing just 1 scoop of this supplement takes care of a ton of nutrients that are critical to functioning at your best. The comprehensive formula found in Superfood includes an impressive blend of organic greens, vegetables, fruits, berries, phytonutrients, organic fiber sources, probiotics, and digestive enzymes to help support a healthy lifestyle.
My first test of mixability was with a glass, some cold water and a spoon. I added 1 scoop of Superfood and started stirring. After 5-10 seconds, I took a look and noticed there was still some little residual chunks and residue left over. This is very common with a superfood or greens type of powdered product. I then decided to try it out with a shaker bottle. After another 5-10 seconds shaking it up, it was ready to go. To resolve any mixability issues, using a traditional blender or a NutriBullet is definitely the way to go for having a consistency that is completely smooth and even. When mixing Superfood together with a few scoops of whey protein powder and other ingredients, I noticed everything was mixed up very evenly and was a pleasure to drink.
Taste and Flavor
I have tried over a dozen “superfood” type supplements in the past and I have to say that this is probably the best tasting product I’ve come across. The usual superfood or greens powder you will find at your local health food store usually has a “dirt” or “grassy” taste to it. Some people like this flavor, I personally do not prefer it. So, it was refreshing when opening the canister for the first time to be hit with a pleasant “fruity” aroma. This enduring scent carried right over to a delicious “berry” flavor while enjoying my first few sips of this superfood drink after mixing it up with a few cups of cold water. There was a hint of wheatgrass flavor along with the berry infusion, but the overall taste rating of this product is definitely 5 stars!
The next day I decided to add a scoopful of Superfood into my morning protein shake and it was very enjoyable. That day, I used a basic vanilla whey protein powder along with a frozen banana and the addition of the Superfood supplement added a nice variety to the mix. I used a NutriBullet to blend up everything and enjoyed a high protein, nutrient packed antioxidant-rich phytonutrient powerhouse to start the day off!
Now we come to price, which is the only reason why this product did not receive a full 5 stars. At $79 per canister, this is priced at a premium for a superfoods powder supplement. That breaks down to $2.63 per scoop which can quickly get expensive if you’re using a scoop or two each day. If you use other supplements along with a superfoods product (protein powder, pre-workout, multivitamin, etc) then your monthly bill could get costly. It would have been nice to see this product priced around $35-40, but for the amount of powerful ingredients it has in it, that pricing structure may not have been feasible. Here is the overall price breakdown for Superfood:
- Servings: 30
- Price: $79
- Price Per Serving: $2.63
I really enjoyed testing out this product for 30 days. The taste was incredible for a superfoods powdered supplement and I was impressed with the overall mixability as a stand-alone product and when mixed with protein powder. I felt very energized throughout the day knowing that all of those important veggies, fruits, antioxidants and phytonutrients were coursing through my body. As mentioned above, the only reason why I did not give this product a full 5 stars was due to the overall pricing which is quite expensive, especially when taking it every day. If you are interested in purchasing this Superfood supplement, you can visit Jenna’s website and be sure to enter the coupon code “15coaching” when ordering to receive 15% off your order!