Brenda Gaines Hunter specializes in functional training for deconditioned populations, recreational athletes, senior citizens; people struggling with obesity, diabetes, asthma, arthritis.
She first became interested in personal and group training while losing 70 pounds off her 5’2″ frame. At first, she didn’t believe that losing a lot of weight was possible, because she was in her late 40s, arthritic and was taking medications for type 2 diabetes, asthma, and for a latent TB infection. Each of those types of medications tend to cause a substantial amount of weight gain. Through diet and exercise, the weight came off. This is what motivated her to become a personal trainer and to focus her practice primarily on special populations.
Brenda designs environments filled with mobile and flexible equipment, such resistance bands, balance pods, flexible cables, mini fitness and stability balls, agility ladders, and bean bags which that don’t restrict range of motion and are effective. By emphasizing body weight exercises, she also teaches her clients to handle their own weight which increases fitness, aids in fat loss, increases balance, flexibility and core strength (the strength of your hips, back, and abs) so that they can complete the tasks of everyday life and/or engage in recreational sports. Yoga, functional Pilates, tai chi, and suspension cables are also incorporated as appropriate.
Brenda earned her personal training certification from the NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association), the Group Exercise Leadership certification from ACE (American Council on Exercise), the Fitness Nutrition Specialist (FNS) credential from the National Academy for Sports Medicine (NASM), and a PhD in instructional design.
To stay current, she holds memberships with NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association), NCSF (National Council on Strength and Fitness), and ASTD (American Society for Training and Development).
- Personal Training
- Small Group Personal Training
- Corporate, NGO (non-governmental organization) Group Training
- Home Gym and Program Design
- Nutrition Counseling (via affiliation with a RD)
- Want To Be a MMA Fighter? The Truth About Mixed Martial Arts
- Functional Training for Health Conditions To Reach Fitness Goals
- How To Eat Healthy at Restaurants – Tips To Keep Your Diet Clean
- Workout When Stuck Inside – Designing an Indoor Exercise Program
- Resistance Training for Weight Loss – Build Muscle To Burn Fat
- Exercises For Legs and Core – Don’t Neglect These Key Muscles
- Are You Physically Fit – Ways To Measure and Test Physical Fitness
- Personal Trainer Secrets – True or False Fitness Facts and Myths
- Making Exercise a Family Affair – Workouts for Parents and Kids
- Weight Loss Basics – Can I Lose Weight Just By Cutting Calories?
- Phone: 916-304-2320
- Website: brendagaineshunter.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/fsftraining